We very much look forward to welcoming your child to GAP. It is an exciting step for you child and family.
Before you come to GAP every day, ensure your child has a good breakfast, and apply their sunscreen. In the early days, it is helpful to talk in positive terms about what will happen at GAP and what the drop off and pick up routines will look like.
At GAP, our work is playing, and a large part of everyday is spent outdoors. We will be playing with sand, mud, paint, plants, slime and other great stuff. Choose clothes that are easy to wash.
Children are encouraged to develop their self-sufficiency skills at GAP, so choosing clothing which is easy for your child to take on and off when they move indoors/outdoors or go to the toilet is very helpful.
What to bring every day
Every day, children will need to bring:
* water bottle (full; just water, no juice)
* morning tea
* lunch (this can be packed in with morning tea, or separately)
* a bag or backpack
* children need to wear clothing which adequately covers their shoulders from the sun.
* a complete set of spare clothes in their backpack is recommended
* in Terms 2 and 3, easy-to-put-on indoor slippers (Hausschuhe)
* from May to August, a winter hat
* if your child has special sunscreen, please bring one to leave at the GAP, with your child’s name on
* any cuddly toy your child needs for rest time (most children use one of ours if they want one, and some children have a favourite they bring every day.)
Your items (food containers inc lids, water bottle, hats, jackets, jumpers) need to be clearly labelled with YOUR CHILD’s name or at least the FAMILY name.
We would love for you to write your child’s assigned hook number on the bottom of all their shoes, boots and slippers.
What we supply
The GAP supplies each child with a sun-smart hat.
Rest time bedding is also provided by the GAP. The bedding is washed regularly by a parent volunteer, at least once a term, however staff will let you know if your child’s bedding becomes particularly soiled or wet and needs a wash straight away.
Parent information night: “Elternabend”
Watch for information about the parent information session which usually follows the AGM (on the same night). Our head teacher will present lots of helpful information for parents, and answer questions. She will give an overview of what we do at the GAP and why; talk about the daily routine; give tips on packing lunches; talk about how parents can help their children at home with their German and settling in to GAP; and more.
Make note of our phone numbers
Please program these phone numbers into your mobile:
During session: 6257 7323 (you may need to leave a message if we are busy or outside)
Director: 6251 7743 any time, or during session times only: 0422 525 646.
We are very much looking forward to a wonderful year with your child at GAP.