Teachers and Assistant Teachers

Assistant Teacher Wanted at German Australian Playschool (ad posted 30 March 2017)

The German Australian Playschool caters for 3-5 year olds, in Turner ACT., and is run by a small team of dedicated professionals, offering a wonderful program in German, in a loving caring environment.  
The Assistant Teacher position will start as an occasional relief position, growing to a regular one, two or three day a week position by August. The hours are 9:15am to 3:45 or 5pm, depending on the day.  The GAP operates during ACT school terms and is closed during school holidays. 
The minimum requirements for Assistant Teachers at the GAP are to: 
* speak German
* be experienced with children aged 3-5 years old
* be a good team player
* be eligible for (or already hold) a Working with Vulnerable People Card
* be prepared to undertake (or already hold) a First Aid certificate in Australia
* be a permanent resident, Australian citizen or have a valid work permit
The ideal candidate will also have:
* prior children's services or early childhood teaching experience
* native German-speaking fluency
* a Certificate III or Diploma in Early Childhood Education (or similar)
* early childhood teaching qualifications (gained in Australia or overseas)
If you or someone you know would like to join our team, we look forward to hearing from you! 



Regular Information about Jobs at the GAP


The German Australian Playschool is regularly expanding. It is always worth contacting us if you are interested in working with us. If we don't have a position available, we may know of other positions in Canberra.

The German Australian Playschool may be hiring more staff - depending on our enrolments!


We are always pleased to hear from German-speaking teachers who would like to go on our Relief Teaching list. This is a great way to work towards getting permanent work at the German Australian Playschool.


Minimum Requirements

Teachers: To be a Teacher at the German Australian Playschool, you need qualifications (or part of your qualification) in Early Childhood Education, or a Diploma in Children's Services... or an equivalent overseas qualfication. You must also speak excellent German, and love working with children 3-5 years old. For us to consider you if you are applying from outside of Australia, you must have experience in a childcare or kindergarten environment.

Assistant Teachers: We seek to employ assistant teachers who are qualified in early childhood education or childcare. Other candidates may also be considered, when qualified or experienced staff are not available, and the candidate is deemed to be highly suitable for the position.

All staff: All staff must have a visa to work in Australia, and undergo a Working With Vulnerable People check. We like to hire a mix of permanent local staff and overseas visiting staff, to keep our programs fresh and up to date with what is happening in German-speaking Europe as well as covering the Australian education requirements.


Do you want to do your Practical / Praktikum / Internship?

We do take German-speaking teachers wanting to do a practical (Praktikum). Usually these teachers volunteer for one to two weeks with us. 

From time to time, depending on our staffing needs, we have also accepted teachers from overseas wishing to work for us on a Working Holiday visa, Staff on this visa can work up to 6 months with us (usually February to July; or July to December). (Please note these visas don't seem to be available to Austrians.)

Read what Sarah (our Head Teacher in 2009) wrote (auf Deutsch) about her experience coming from Germany to work with us.


Accommodation for teachers and volunteers from overseas

We may also be able to arrange for teachers and volunteers from Germany to live in with one of our families, if they would like.


If you are coming from overseas to work or volunteer with us, it is important that you have the means to support yourself financially while you are here.


Related Information

Teachers and Assistant Teachers

Leaders at Pfadfinder