You may have noticed a few extra bins around at the Turner Scout Hall, in the kitchen and the new foyer. We are making it easier for families to be greener… which is very German, so embrace the programs and enjoy feeling cultural and forward thinking with us!
The GAP children and scouts enjoyed their rubbish sorting lesson too, and most are now experts on it.
In the kitchen we have, starting from the top left on the shelf:
- we are collecting unwanted oral care products (all brands of toothbrushes, toothpaste tubes, dental floss containers) under a Terracycle program (we will get a small amount of money for each 2kg we collect).
- we continue to collect organic kitchen scraps for chickens
Along the bottom row in the kitchen, we have:
- the usual mixed recycling (unlike you at home, we don’t get our recycling bins collected for free at the hall…but we believe it is important, so we pay for a collection service).
- waste to landfill (getting less each week, which is good, because we pay for that to be collected too!)
- our new soft plastics recycling through RedCycle, where plastic bags, wrappers, peel-off lids, cling wrap, yogurt squeeze pouches all can be recycled. We also encourage families to think of ways to reduce their use of soft plastics by wrapping lunches in reusable containers or bees-wax-wraps or similar; and taking their own household’s soft plastic waste to their local Redcycle bin.
Next to the yellow sign-in desk in the foyer, we have:
- our can and bottle refund scheme collection, through the ACT government’s container deposit scheme. As you play or walk in your local park, all families (and particularly our scouts) are encouraged to collect any containers they see as litter and bring them in to the hall for our collection. Eligible containers for the refund are ones that are commonly found in the litter stream, including most cans and bottles; ie glass, PET, HDPE, aluminium, steel or liquid paperboard (cartons) between 150mL and 3L in size.
- [soon to appear] our e-waste collection box, through ecoActiv / Storage King, taking broken electronic toys, old laptops, hard drives, keyboards, mice, cameras, iPods, mobile phones, batteries, chargers and accessories. You may also take them to Office Works yourself, or bring them to the scout hall if that is easier for you. Computers and TVs can be collected from your home or office for free by TechCollect.