Spielwelt German Parents Association is a not for profit organisation running children’s programs in German in Canberra
- Mama Lisa’s wonderful collection of German nursery rhymes and songs(including some sung by the GAP children!), with translations and free downloadable tunes and sometimes sheet music.
- Absolutely do not miss German for German-speaking Kids Abroad’s amazing website and an active facebook page with tons of resources, info and ALLES!!
- An excellent and comprehensive set of German lessons for children online from the Victorian Department of Education in Australia.
- More resources on our German in Canberra pages.
- The Bilingual Options website has lots of excellent information and support for families raising their children bilingually. It is run by Dr Dopke, a highly regarded German-speaking linguist and speech pathologist, who has a practice in Melbourne.
- Bilingual Options publishes a free e-newsletter, called Snippets. Visit the website to subscribe.
- Order German kids books, CDs, DVDs, and games online through Amazon in Germany.
- Order German kids books, CDs, DVDs, games and electronic games for kids through ebay in Germany. Remember: You might not like the idea of your kids watching DVDs or playing electronic games, but you might feel it is a bit more acceptable if they are doing this in German (thus getting an education / maintaining their German)!!
- Download free-to-air TV in German for the kids (or yourself!) to watch.
- Live-stream Antenne Bayern radio in German. You can choose your genre of music. They even have a stream called Hits fuer Kids which is a great mix of German (and sometimes English) children’s music.
- Comprehensive website (in German) for 4-6 year olds (fluent) or older kids (non-fluent), called Schlaumaeuse.
- The Enchanted Learning website, a cheap source of excellent printable teaching materials in French, Italian and German for English speakers.
- Get a German aupair. You can even get one with experience, culture and endless traditional stories through an innovative program called Granny Aupair.
- See the Multilingual Living website.
- Join the ACT Bilingual Education Alliance, and learn more about bilingualism in the ACT, and help lobby the ACT government for more language education and awareness.
- Download some audio books / stories “Hoerspiele” from the ORHKA site.
- Some libraries in Germany and Austria will allow you to become a member, and then you can download some of the audio books from their catalogues too.
- Download this PDF on how to teach your child (or partner) German in just 15 minutes a day
Here is another big list of German children’s online resources that you can access from Australia.
Children’s German Media Available in Australia