Job Opportunities

The German Australian Playschool is regularly expanding. We advertise our vacancies on our website.  We encourage you to contact us if you are interested in working with us, even if we don’t currently have a position available.

The German Australian Playschool may be hiring more staff – depending on our enrolments, staff returning to Germany or going on parental leave.


We are always pleased to hear from German-speaking teachers who would like to go on our relief teaching list. This is a great way to work towards getting permanent work at the German Australian Playschool.

Minimum Requirements

Teachers: To be a Teacher at the German Australian Playschool, you need qualifications (or part of your qualification) in Early Childhood Education, or a Diploma in Children’s Services, or an equivalent overseas qualification. You must also speak excellent German and love working with children 3-5 years old. If you are applying from outside of Australia, you must have experience in a childcare or kindergarten environment and be a “Staatlich anerkannter ErzieherIn oder KindergartnerIn“. Sometimes a “SozialpedagokikIn” qualification can be accepted.

Assistant Teachers: We seek to employ assistant teachers who are qualified in early childhood education or childcare. Other candidates may also be considered, when qualified or experienced staff are not available, and the candidate is deemed to be highly suitable for the position.

All staff: All staff must have a visa to work in Australia, and undergo a Working With Vulnerable People check and have all vaccinations up to date (a covid-19 vaccination is mandatory in the ACT).  We like to hire a mix of permanent local staff and overseas visiting staff, to keep our programs fresh and up to date with what is happening in German-speaking Europe as well as covering the Australian education requirements.

Do you want to do your Practical / Praktikum / Internship?

We do take German-speaking teachers wanting to do a practical (Praktikum). Usually these teachers volunteer for one to two weeks with us.

From time to time, depending on our staffing needs, we have also accepted teachers from overseas wishing to work for us on a Working Holiday visa (subclass 417).  Staff on this visa can work up to 6 months with us.

Read what Sarah (our Head Teacher in 2009) wrote (auf Deutsch) about her experience coming from Germany to work with us.

Information for teachers and volunteers applying from overseas

The first thing to check is whether you would be eligible for a visa which allows you to work in Australia.  The most common ones are a partner visa or a working holiday visa.  Teachers and volunteers coming from overseas need to organise their own accommodation and food. You could perhaps consider becoming an AuPair (search for the Canberra AuPair group on Facebook or ask us if any of our families need an AuPair), or live in ein WG (search for shared accommodation near Turner, ACT). It is a good idea to get an idea of the prices of accommodation and food, before you come to Australia.  One of our local universities publishes reliable information about the cost of living in Canberra.  A GAP job itself is not enough to support you financially to live independently; you will need a Nebenjob or a family or partner to support you.  Babysitting is always in demand – in German and English – and all kinds of other casual work can usually be found (start looking on GumTree or Facebook or Seek).

If you are coming from overseas to work or volunteer with us, you must have the means to support yourself financially while you are here.

German Babysitter and Children’s Tutor list

Leaders at Pfadfinder

Teachers and Assistant Teachers