As part of the ACT Government’s commitment to multiculturalism and high standards of education, there is supposed to be a LOTE (Language Other Than English) taught in every school in the ACT. German is one of the eight languages selected for teaching in the ACT. Usually a LOTE is taught for 40-60 minutes per week; sometimes more.
* Melba High School and Copland College.
* Narrabundah College (Years 11 and 12)
* Telopea Park School is mainly French, but offers German as well
* Merici College (a years 7-12 Catholic College for girls) in Braddon
*Orana Steiner School in Weston
* Canberra Girls Gramma r School from Year 10 onwards.
* Canberra Grammar School from Years 8-12, with International Baccalaureate and HSC German offered in Yr12 (in 2017)
* Daramalan College (Catholic, co-ed school) from years 7-12.
* Canberra Academy of Languages, offers high school and college level German. They offer a variety of languages even if your college/school doesn’t offer that language.
* Please let us know, if you know of other schools offering German in the ACT.
German for Adults
Your local college will also offer German evening courses from time to time. Watch for lift-out advertisements in the Chronicle newspaper.
The German Language School has an Adult stream.
Das Zentrum is another good source of information about courses for adults.