Helpful books for adults and children
Many of these books are available through the ACT Library and some are in our Support Library.
- Sonnige Traurigtage, by Shirin Homeier – about a girl whose mother is dealing with depression.
- A Monster Ate My Mum, by Jen Faulkner – post-natal depression through a child’s eyes.
- Undoing Depression, a self-help guide by Richard O’Connor
- Active Treatment of Depression, by Richard O’Connor
- Can I Catch It Like a Cold? a children’s book about mental health published by the centre of addiction and mental health
Support Groups, Organisations and Links
- Beyond Blue: a national organisation to help people who are suffering from depression (and help their friends and family)
- Mind Health Connect: a helpful article on depression
- Dealing with Depression: a Help Guide article on depression
- PANDSI: Post and Ante Natal Depression Support and Information in Canberra: You could also ring their help line on (02) 6288 1936.
- A Monster Ate My Mum – blog about post natal depression, through a mum and child’s eyes.
- Post Partum Men: Post natal depression support for Dads (yes, dads do get post natal depression)
- Post Natal Depression a comprehensive webpage on the Raising Children Network website – with pages on helping women, dad’s depression, help for women, and practical tool kits for coping.
- PANDA: Post Natal Depression in Australia – a big website full of helpful information, fact sheets, event info, resources, workshops and more.