Spielwelt German Parents Association is a not for profit organisation running children’s programs in German in Canberra
As part of the ACT Government’s commitment to multiculturalism and high standards of education, there is supposed to be a LOTE (Language Other Than English) taught in every school in the ACT. German is one of the eight languages selected for teaching in the ACT. Usually a LOTE is taught for 40-60 minutes per week; sometimes more.
* Narrabundah College (Years 11 and 12)
* Telopea Park School is mainly French, but offers German as well
* Merici College (a years 7-12 Catholic College for girls) in Braddon
* Orana Steiner School in Weston
* Canberra Girls Grammar School in Deakin from Year 9 onwards.
* Canberra Grammar School from Years 8-12, with International Baccalaureate and HSC German offered in Year 12 (info accurate in 2017)
* Daramalan College (Catholic, co-ed school) from Years 7-12.
* Canberra Academy of Languages, offers high school and college level German. They offer a variety of languages even if your college/school doesn’t offer that language.
* Please let us know, if you know of other schools offering German in the ACT.
German Immersion Program in an ACT Primary School
Join our Parents & Friends group, working to establish a German Immersion Program in an ACT Primary School.
German for Adults
Your local college will offer German evening courses from time to time. Watch for lift-out advertisements in the Chronicle newspaper.
The German Language School has an Adult stream.
Das Zentrum is another good source of information about courses for adults.